It’s been how long since we had a Treasury Tuesday?! Oh, my…shame on me!! Looks like I’ll have to make up for it this month during our month-long celebration! ;D Here’s to a wonderful kick-off for Comic Week!!
Comics Week Celebrating Comic Week during the 2nd Annual Geek Month on CheekyGeeks at http://cheekygeeks.egcom.tk!
I apologise for the difference in the layout for this Treasury — it appears Etsy has changed their coding, preventing most of the Treasury listing tools from working. Hopefully this is resolved soon, but until then, I’ll be using this widget from CraftCult. It’s cute, but I don’t get to have the item names, prices, &c. Alas…!
We’ll see you tomorrow, for another WONDERFUL Whovian Wednesday!! Cheers!!
– Elise M. Gross
Welcome to the 1st week of our 2nd annual Geek Month here on CheekyGeeks!! Last year, y’all met the wonderful Jeremy Kerns, creator of The Garage webcomic & Timid Studios. (( Check out his contributions from year one here, here, & the bottom of here! )) Well, this year, be prepared for even more awesome, as Mr. Kerns has taken each weeks theme & ran off with them like Wil Wheaton runs off with/collects dice. First up…COMICS!
Introducing: A History of American Comics*
— An Infograph for your brainsphere —
(( Click for full image ))
There now, dontchya feel smarter already? ;D
Tune in tomorrow for Treasury Tuesday — comic themed, of course!!
Picture this: Its the weekend. It’s late at night. I’m laying in bed, in a rather I dignified, yet comfortable position. (On second thought, don’t picture that!) I’m perusing my weekly blog reads, catching up on the goings-on of the interwebs, when I come across a post titled “50 Shades of Sevi” (Lord knows where she comes up with these post titles! XD ). So I think “Oh, fun! Learn more about Sevi!” (Did you know she played saxophone? Honestly the most surprising thing I read!!) Then I get to the bottom….and there it is. The challenge. The call out. I am now socially — nay, MORALLY — obligated to respond.
Is it the #ALS #icebucketchallenge, you ask? No. (Though I also got challenged to that this weekend, too, but more in that later.) It’s a…a questionnaire…!! Egads! I haven’t seen one of these since…um, myspace? Or AIM days? Jeez. Lol.
Well, here goes…hope you guys are ready to learn more about THIS CHICK! (See chick pictured below.)
1. What are you wearing? Black yoga pants, a World of Warcraft HORDE t-shirt (FOR THE HORDE!!!)
2. Ever been in love? Of course! It’s the human condition, after all.
3. Ever had a terrible breakup? Also a resounding YES. (Don’t ever become “that girl” y’all. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.)
4. How tall are you? Um…5 foot 3 &1/2 inches!
5. How much do you weigh? LOL
6. Any tattoos? No. Not yet. I have had quite a few designed & ready for many years. I like to design & wait 2 years to determine if I still want them. Those that have stuck around & I still want…well, I just need the money.
7. Any piercings? Yep. 3 in each ear. I pierce myself (don’t worry, I thoroughly steralize) because it hurts less.
8. OTP (one true pair, favorite fictional couple)? Elizabeth Bennet & Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice, y’all! Best book EVAR.)
10. Favorite bands? Top 3 (on my bucket list to see if possible) in no particular order — The Cure (not touring …as far as I know), HIM (seen them), Blink 182 (will see them…would have right before I was hired at my current job 2 years ago but wasn’t allowed vacation for 90 days, right when they were coming!!! -wails-)
11. Something you miss? Some old friends sometimes…AKON, conventions in general! I wanna go cosplaying next year!!
12. Favorite song? That’s…no…that’s too hard to choose.
13. How old are you? 26
14. Zodiac sign? Taurus (YEAH!! BULL!)
15. Quality you look for in a partner? Good natured, likes jokes (the cheesier the better), willing to be goofy, sweet, kind hearted, willing to compromise, willing to talk through problems, always makes it better with a kiss, handsome (per my perspective), loving, independent yet wants to hang out with me, geeky (in their own way)…. luckily, I gots me someone who fits all of those qualities!! xD Thanks Mr A!)
16. Favorite Quote? How DARE you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?” -Seth Godin
18. Favorite color? The colour of the sun shining through the bottom of a leaf.
19. Loud music or soft? Depends on my mood
20. Where do you go when you’re sad? Um…my bedroom, on the bed, no lights? I also put on some music, like an old vinyl or something, however the type of music I play depends on whether I want to feel the sadness or get over it.
21. How long does it take you to shower? If I’m in a hurry, 15 minutes…if not, 30.
22. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? If I’m in a hurry, 5 minutes, if not, 30?
23. Ever been in a physical fight? Yes. I’m feisty.
24. Turn on? Uh…………..wit.
25. Turn off? Stupidity, closed-mindedness.
26. The reason I started blogging? To share all of the geeky ideas I like to create!
27. Fears? Hmm…fear itself. Oh, & ladders. Not heights, just ladders.
28. Last thing that made you cry? Dinosaurs… -_-;;;
29. Last time you said you loved someone? When I got off the phone with my brother earlier
30. Meaning behind the name of your blog? I’m pretty sassy. And geeky. So CheekyGeek!
31. Last book you read? D&D Pathfinder…does that count?
I have a terrible, terrible confession to make… I make lists. It’s so bad, in fact, that sometimes I’ll make lists for my lists, or if I do something that wasn’t on my list, I’ll go back & add it to my list. Yeah, it’s that kind of bad. I know I’m not alone in this weird behaviour, either. I was watching David Tutera’s ‘My Fair Wedding’ (which I am also obsessed with) once when he encountered a bride that also made lists…for her lists…and added things she did on to the lists that weren’t originally on them. Yep, we’re a rare breed, but we’re out there..! xD
Needless to say, with this crazy hectic move going on, & the INSANE amount of clean up we’re going to go through for this house…things have gotten a bit…well, hectic! — and we all know what happens then… LIST TIME! I’ve been making lists breaking down each room, how I plan to attack each one, breaking them further down by what I can do on my own & what I’ll need Mr. Dark to help me with, &c. &c.
Here’s just a tiny, itty-bitty, wee little sampling of some of my first lists…the “improper ones” that aren’t yet the thing of beauty that my lists can be. (Or thing of terror?)
So, why is the house such a mess?
Well, frankly, it happened because my Mom…procrastinated? It’s not a big deal — stuff happens, & there are plenty of times we’ve all been guilty of the same! Plus, she could only move so much with her in her little Peety (PT Cruiser), including her, my sister, & their 2 dogs + cat! I knew it’d be a challenge before she even started packing, & quite frankly, I’ve left so much stuff in her house over the course of moving out (3 different times, don’t judge) that it only seems fair. ;D Hehe!
I’m actually pretty impressed with what she WAS able to load up in her car! She’s driving way out to WA, too, so this seems like one heck’uva feat!
I’ll be taking proper “before’ photos tonight, with “after” photos to follow as things get completed!
Be on the lookout for the first big project I plan on doing…. the KITCHEN!!! :O
Originally published under Yahoo Voices 02.05.2014 – No longer accessible through Yahoo Voices due to Yahoo’s closing of the site.
Looking for something fun and unique to do for Valentine’s Day? Whether you’re single or in a relationship, these five ideas will be sure to peak your interest!
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner – are you prepared? How many of you are tired of the same old “movie and dinner” routine? What about you single folks who just want to spend this day of love with good friends and company? Here are our top 5 most unique Valentine’s Day date night ideas – good for singles and couples alike! This list is based primarily on DFW events, but a quick internet search for similar events local to you should help you create your very own unique evening!
1. Party like animals at your local zoo. If you or your partner are an animal lover, you should try looking up your local zoo and see what they’re offering for Valentine’s Day. At the Fort Worth Zoo they’re offering several unique options for those who love Valentine’s and for those who hate it! The two primary offerings are the Penguin Party for lovebirds, and the Bitter Dinner for singles. For those looking to save a few bucks, there’s the less expensive route of gift options instead of dinner: you can adopt penguins, or, for those with “unwavering” feelings, you can adopt a Haitian cockroach, complete with an e-card expressing just how you feel. Adopting one of the zoos animals helps to feed and care for the creature for a year. For more information, visit the Fort Worth Zoo website, or check with your local zoo to see what specials they’re offering!
2. Themed Parties for singles and couples. Without a doubt you’ll want to check out one of your local themed parties going on during this year’s day of love. Couples and singles can party 60′s, 70′s, or 80′s style to themed music at this year’s 98.7 KLUV Valentine’s Day Party located in the Stemmon’s ballroom in Dallas. If you’re not in the DFW area, check your local oldies station website for some fun-filled events, otherwise, visit KLUV’s website for more information!
3. Recreate your first date or when you met your best friend. That’s right – all the way down to the outdated clothes and the BIG hair! More adventurous couples and besties will have loads of fun recreating their first time together. If you’re no longer in the area where you first met, try going to places similar to where you went the first time you went out together. Be sure to take photos for your scrapbook so you can compare then-and-now and laugh at the memories for years to come!
4. Wicked love in a haunted house. This is no joke; there are many local haunted houses that open especially for the day of love. One of the biggest ones in the United States is actually located in New York City, but you can check your local listings for one near you, or see if this list on DesigningFear shows one near you. If you’re in the DFW area, however, head on over to the Moxley Manor in Bedford, TX from the 14th – 16th for a frightfully good time!
5. Game night and movie night! For those looking to spend some time with friends, or who would rather stay in instead of go out, why not invite your nearest and dearest over for a rousing game or movie night? It’s really very simple: Everyone brings a board or card game and/or a horribly cheesy movie. The movie can be any theme you choose – terrible B-flicks, super sappy love stories, or extra cheesy kung-fu movies! The point here is to have fun, relax, and enjoy the company of those you love most, whether you’re a couple or single. Best of all, you can do this right in your own home!
Which of these unique Valentine’s Day date ideas are you excited to try?